Thank you all for participating in this year's race.
Tour of California: Santa Barbara Stage Six — Saturday February 23rd 2008
We hope you will support us in bringing the 2009 Tour back to SB.
Situated along a unique stretch of east-west California coastline between Los Angeles and San Francisco, Santa Barbara County basks in sunshine, natural bounty, creativity, cultural sophistication, and an appreciation for taking life at your own pace. The dramatic combination of ocean, mountains, valleys, islands, beaches, and gardens offers more than just beauty and relaxation. First-rate golf, polo, horseback riding, cycling, hiking, and a vast array of water sports are just some of the activities that draw lovers of the outdoors to Santa Barbara.
"A tour of Santa Barbara will be a spectacular experience for the high-caliber cyclists joining in the Amgen Tour of California," said Mayor Mary Blum. "I invite professional and amateur photographers alike to capture the Saturday morning start of the final leg. I am excited for our residents to see world-class cycling and for the cyclists to enjoy the beauty of Santa Barbara."
-Mayor Marty Blum
GEAR UP FOR THE AMGEN TOUR OF CALIFORNIA:
Some of the finest year-round bicycling is available on and off road within Santa Barbara County. Even the pros know it — a handful of the world's best teams train here every winter. The world's top professional cyclists will return to Santa Barbara County during the 3rd Annual Amgen Tour of California
cycling race February 17-24. Watch the Time Trials in Solvang February 22 and enjoy the free lifestyle festival in the heart of America's Little Denmark. And then head to Santa Barbara's waterfront February 23 for Autograph Alley and to watch the cyclists take off during the Stage 6 Start. The ATOC Stage 6 Free Kids Race
will start at 9 AM and info can be found here, it is open to any child between the ages of 4-10, each child will receive a number plate, shirt and a medal. This was a highlight of last years start an is for sure to be a great time for the kids and their families once again.
PLAY OUR CYCLING TRIVA GAME
CYCLING IN SANTA BARBARA
Click here to play our Cycling Trivia Game & win great prizes!
Tour of California Events
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE SPECIFIC ROUTES FOR
SANTA BARBARA LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE EVENTS
- Some of the finest year-round bicycling is available on and off road within Santa Barbara County. The county's regional biking network includes approximately 150 miles of signed paths and trails.
- The Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition promotes biking for safe transportation and recreation, including trails and routes
- 13 cycling clubs in the county include leisure and competitive cycling groups and mountain and BMX biking organizations.
- Several competitive cycling races and fundraising events are held throughout the year, including The Santa Ynez Valley National mountain bike race in May, the annual MS Bike Tour & Fest and the Solvang Prelude.
- Hard core and aspiring athletes can train with Chris Carmichael, trainer of Olympians and world-class athletes (including Lance Armstrong), during one of his grueling training camps; Buellton, 2/18-24 & 2/25-3/2.
- Leisure cyclists can enjoy scenic wine tours with Santa Barbara Wine Country Cycling Tours and Santa Barbara Adventure Company, who also lead guided city and mountain biking tours.
- Santa Barbara's Fastrack Bicycle Shop is owned and operated by Olympian Dave Lettieri, who caters to serious road cyclists.
- Santa Barbara's cycling community goes beyond athletics and leisure. With a keen interest in sustainable transportation, Santa Barbara is proud to be one of the nation's leading bike commuting counties (in the Top 20). Nearly 5,000 Santa Barbara residents are bicycle commuters.
- Part of the Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District, the Santa Barbara Car Free Project promotes Car Free travel to and around Santa Barbara, which includes promoting cycling for leisure rides, sight-seeing and transportation.
- Thursday, January 17, 2008: Movie Night at Cabrillo Arts Pavilion; 6:00pm Reception and 7:00pm Screening of "American Flyers” starring local resident Kevin Costner. $12 suggested donation.
- Friday, February 22, 2008: Pre-Party at Cabrillo Arts Pavilion, 7:00pm. Mix and mingle with local dignitaries and race officials prior to the Stage 6 start the next morning. $100 per person includes gourmet food & beverages and entertainment.
- Saturday, February 23, 2008: Cabrillo Boulevard, Santa Barbara Waterfront (between Garden Street and Calle Cesar Chavez)
- 9:00am-1:00pm: Cottage Health System's Family Fitness Fair
- 9:00am: Free Kids' Race (registrations begins at 7:30am)
- 10:00am-10:45am: Autograph Alley
- 11:00am: Stage 6 Start
Interested in volunteering? Register to be an official race volunteer on www.amgentourofcalifornia.com
HOTEL LODGING PACKAGES & ACTIVITY OFFERS
Inn of the Spanish Garden
Inn of the Spanish Garden is proud to sponsor the Amgen Tour of California by offering tour participants and spectators a 20% discount during the race. The secluded Inn of the Spanish Garden offers guests a private, quiet retreat in the heart of Santa Barbara's downtown Historic Presidio District. The hotel features spacious, non-smoking rooms featuring private balconies, gardens, fireplaces, soaking tubs with imported bath amenities, in-room massage, bicycle storage, fitness room, and high speed internet access. Also included is our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast with espresso drinks, complimentary newspaper, bell and turndown service. Contact information: http://www.spanishgardeninn.com
– for our special rate call 866-564-4700.
Wine Country Cycling Tours
'Wine Country Follow the Tour Cycling Package' from Feb. 20-24, 2008. This is an all inclusive cycling tour that surrounds the Amgen Tour of California while passes through both SLO and SB Counties. Our package includes guided cycling tours, bike & helmet rentals, a choice of intermediate or deluxe accommodations and gourmet lunches and dining.
For more information, please contact us at: 805.686.9490 or visit the site at: http://www.winecountrycycling.com/html/follow_tour.html
Santa Barbara Hotel Group
For a limited time, you can get special rates at any Santa Barbara Hotel Group hotel with the Amgen Tour Spectator Special. Rates start at $149 for 1 night at the Best Western Pepper Tree Inn.Rates start at $149 for 1 night at the Best Western Encina Lodge & Suites.Rates start at $140 (Sun-Thurs), $198 (Fri-Sat) for 1 night at the Brisas del Mar – Inn at the Beach. Rates start at $140 (Sun-Thurs), $194 (Fri-Sat) for 1 night at the Colonial Beach Inn. Rates start at $140 (Sun-Thurs), $174 (Fri-Sat) for 1 night at the Inn by the Harbor. Please contact hotel directly to book your reservation.
Prices valid February 17-24, 2008 http://www.sbhotels.com/special-amgen.asp
Simpson House Inn
Amgen Tour of California 10% off discount at Simpson House Inn, February 22-24, 2008. Unique among Santa Barbara hotels is the Simpson House Inn, a 15 room, AAA Five Diamond luxury inn located within walking distance of shops, restaurants and the cultural district. The Inn is nestled on an acre of English-style gardens and features individually designed accommodations available in a Victorian Estate, private Garden Cottages and a masterfully converted 19th century Carriage House. All rates include gourmet breakfast daily, evening wine tasting and hors d'oeuvres, parking, welcome amenity and refreshments throughout the day.